The Olympiad examinations are conducted by various organizations at national and international level. Math Olympiad covers CBSE, ICSE, IB and state boards syllabus. The foundation for success is continuous journey which starts at a young age. The Math Olympiad Exam enables students to grasp concepts, understand logical and abstract mathematical precepts and gives them the edge in schoolwork as well as other competitive examinations.
Benefits of Olympiad Math Exams
- Helps build analytical and logical reasoning
- Equips children to solve complex problems
- Increases aptitude and intelligence
- Helps build a mathematical and scientific foundation for the child
- Puts children in a competitive frame of mind
- Helps develop a love for learning and especially for mathematics
- Helps students adjust better to school work and do better in examinations
- Gives children a clearer understanding of achiever mentality and prepares them for life’s challenges
- Begins a lifelong thirst for knowledge by encouraging independent thought and curiosity.
How to prepare for Math Olympiad exams
Math is more than just a subject; it is a life-skill that should be imbibed in a child continuously which starts from a young age. The Math Olympiad examinations are an excellent way to do this. For students the curriculum is geared towards strengthening their fundamentals. There’s an old saying, “a great castle can only be built on a strong foundation”. At Indian OnlineSchool, we understand the importance of a solid base and have structured our entire method of instruction for Math Olympiad exams around this tenet. Here’s how you can help students to prepare for the Math Olympiad exams.
- Engage them in Math: The Olympiad is an intense exam which is focused on math and scientific growth. The best way to prepare for these exams is to engage with experienced teachers. For Olympiad aspirants, our teachers focus on the basics and strive to engage with the students at their level. Crafting problems that are in line with their school syllabus and compatible with their linguistic, conversational, and comprehensive abilities, makes learning more interesting and engaging for them. Our online teachers believe in nurturing students and ensuring that they completely understand the subject they are being taught. Our goal is not to force students to routine learn, but to empower their curiosity and encourage their understanding of the subject.
- Practice makes perfect: There is no substitute for practice. Once a child grasps a particular concept, constant repetition and revision is the only way to reinforce the concept in their minds. In Math you’re only as good as your basics. The Math Olympiad exams are all about the basics and revising and regular practice has the added advantage of making it a good habit for schoolwork and exams in the future.
- Conducting topic-wise mock tests: Mock tests are a great way to ensure that children are truly prepared for the Olympiad examinations. These mock-tests can be done in a topic wise manner. What this helps achieve is the reinforcement of recently learned concepts while still fresh in the mind. Therefore, if the concept taught is included in a mock-test immediately after the completion of chapter, it makes for an excellent reinforcement device for the child.
- Sample papers: Olympiad Math Exams are as much about speed, familiarity with the syllabus and questions from across topics, as they are about preparation. Whether it is a student in Class 2 or Class 12, familiarity with the format of the exam and an ability to quickly and correctly solve the paper is vital. Therefore, solving sample papers helps familiarize the student with both the format of the paper, and helps him / her pick up their speed in solving the paper. At Indian Online School we constantly test our students with Sample Papers and Papers from previous years.
- The importance of a routine: Routines are the bedrock of a structured and well-prepared study cycle. Therefore, it is important to inculcate this practice into students. Setting a timetable and helping students follow it is extremely important. This allows them to focus intently and intensely for a fixed period of time. It is as much about how they utilize their time as it is about what they do with their study time.